Monday 4 May 2009

Pea tendrils and blueberries

2/3 May: The peas are absolute stars. They already have tiny tendrils looking to wind their way round some thin sticks. Although they’ve got a cane wigwam to grow up when they get bigger, to get them started, I’ve given them some lovely glittery gold twigs that I had left over from a floral display.

The potatoes have also started to sprout, with each displaying two or three small leaves. The radishes are well underway, with carrot and beetroot seedlings delicately following. The fruit bushes are also doing well with the fig and gooseberry sporting some new leaves and the blueberry looking like it might even have some flower heads forming.

The veg seeds I planted in mid April are also sprouting. Outside the pots of kale, rocket and salad leaves all have little seedlings, while inside the capsicum and chillies have two little leaves each.

I’ve also bought some lovely tomato plants from a local organic farm. With all the wet weather last year I lost all of the three types of tomatoes I’d grown from seed before they fruited so this year I’ve cut back and just bought four plants; two gardeners delight and two golden queen. They are now planted in tall tomato pots by the south wall of the house so lets hope the weather is good this year
.

No comments:

Post a Comment