Thursday 2 April 2009

Planting this years veg patch

This year’s vegetable patch in my garden is an easy no fuss option. I’ve decided to go for the "sow and go" approach, after last year's a wash-out. Although I nurtured 100’s of seedlings, potting them on diligently until they were ready to go out, the excessive rain and lack of sun meant that I got nothing more than a few potatoes and lots of mouldy plants.


So, this year, all I've done is prepared the vegetable patch and popped the seeds straight in. The photo shows the prepared seed bed drills ready for the seeds to go in.

In the seed bed
Radish - large german salad “Ostergruss Rosa”
Turnip - small “snowball”
Beetroot - Pablo F1 hybrid
Carrot - ingot
Broccoli - sprouting summer purple

The weather forecast for this week is unpredictable with cold snaps so I’ve put a fleece over the seed bed to give it a head start.

Round the edge
Potato - Maris piper

On 3 cane wigwams:
Sugar snap pea - delikett
Runner bean - polestar
Pea - Alderman
Complimented by sweet peas

In between the wigwam
Fennel

Next month I’ll set up a few pots with salad leaves, peppers and tomatoes. The pot of chives is already going strong, but the parsley and coriander will need re-sown.

Elsewhere in the garden, the fruits are springing back to life. The raspberry canes, strawberries and blueberry are all sprouting. The rhubarbs are sporting a few early stalks.

During the coming months I’ll report back on how everything is progressing. Lets hope the weather is better this year and we get a better harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment